Website Center for Open Science
The Data Analytics Engineer develops data-oriented systems to meet the organization’s or team’s needs. Working closely with Research leadership and others across the organization, manages and performs various tasks necessitating data required for research and day-to-day business activities. This includes architecting solutions for evaluating COS’ Theory of Change, products, metascience questions, and engaging with the broader open scholarship community.
- Designing, developing, and modifying data sourcing strategies, designs, and implementation for COS’s Data Science offerings.
- Work with stakeholders (e.g., Chief Product Officer, Principle Research Scientist, Data Analyst) to establish platforms, processes, and frameworks for deploying analytics solutions and automating data workflows.
- Architect, build, publish, and maintain performant and reliable data models and pipelines that facilitate deeper analysis and reporting by the Data Analyst and other stakeholders.
- Access data from a variety of sources, manage and clean data, and assist with data access for analyses, visualizations, and communication of results.
- Developing and maintaining data management plans and data documentation and definitions.
- Overseeing the integration of new initiatives and projections into data standards and structures.
- Evaluating the design, selection, and implementation of dataset organization by comparing them with project requirements and design documents.
- Assessing system performance and making recommendations for hardware, software, and data storage improvements.
- Attends specification and steering meetings to determine scope and prioritization of Data Science offerings.
Collaborates with engineers on implementing and configuring data across OSF sources.
- Familiarity with database design and systems, database technology, and logical data analysis.
- Ability to organize large amounts of data from a variety of sources.
- Experience with SQL, working with relational databases and familiarity with a variety of database architectures.
- Experience with schema design and data modeling strategies.
- Experience working with unstructured and semi-structured data.
- Experience with Python or R as a scripting language and for data exploration/analysis.
- Demonstrated commitment to engineering best practices to analytics code (e.g., version control, testing, continuous integration).
- Excellent communication skills to translate complex problems using non-technical language.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills.
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to work towards meeting multiple deadlines simultaneously.
- Demonstrated commitment to transparency, rigor, and reproducibility in research.
- Attention to detail and very strong documentation and workflow management skills.
- Ability to prioritize, make decisions, problem-solve, and ask for help.
- 2 to 5 years’ working experience in data management, data analysis, or other data administration functions including collection and distribution.
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in data-science related field.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work/Salary:
- Some flexibility in hours is allowed, but the employee must be available during the “core” work hours of 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (EST).
- Occasional travel is possible for this position.
- Salary range for this position is $60,000 – $70,000 annual
- 401(k) with employer match. COS offers a matching contribution of 100% up to 3% of pay and another 50% up to 5% of pay (the full match will be 4% if participants elect to defer 5%)
- Health, dental, and vision insurance. COS covers 100% of employee premium and 50% of all dependent coverage costs under the base plan
- 15 days vacation in year one
- COS offers paid leave for up to three (3) months to all full-time, regular employees to care for their child after birth, after or during the adoption process, or to care for their spouse, child, or parent who has a serious health condition as well as for the employee’s own serious health condition.
- Remote work option or modern local office space in Charlottesville, VA with a Macbook and Google Workspace environment
Please apply by submitting a resume. Questions about the position and COS are welcome and can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note, in order to be considered for this position you must be authorized to work in the United States and have a U.S. address and bank account.
COS is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also strongly encourage applications from members of groups underrepresented in science and technology industries.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lever.co.