City Bureau is seeking a technologist to shape strategy and lead day-to-day development for Documenters.org, the online home for Documenters community and content. The technologist will play a central role in the growth of our Documenters Network to more locations across the country as a member of our National Impact team.
The ideal candidate will have experience developing, shipping, and supporting technical products, both in early-stage environments and at-scale. They will be comfortable going deep in technical discussions, and have either a technical background or significant experience working closely with software engineers. They should be comfortable balancing urgency and empathy in their work with cross-functional team members, and be adept at breaking complex problems into smaller, more manageable components.
Our ideal technologist will be a confident strategist, but will also have the emotional intelligence to be flexible and resilient as circumstances change. The ideal candidate will be able to develop a strong vision for Documenters.org, while also practicing humility and a willingness to learn from both the community organizing ecosystem, the journalism industry, and others’ lived experiences. Our work environment is dynamic and experimental, and a strong technologist must be able to work both autonomously and in step with our team.
You should apply if…
- You understand the way our collaborative work can strengthen civil society and create new pathways for participation in the production, consumption and distribution of locally relevant civic information
- You value deep listening with a variety of stakeholders; gathering ideas from a network of dedicated people to create future-facing solutions
- You have a demonstrated passion for and commitment to City Bureau’s mission
Documenters.org development and product strategy
- Work closely with Documenters Network leadership, program participants and external stakeholders to set the vision and roadmap for the future of Documenters.org
- Define, manage, and evolve the product vision and strategy for supporting the Documenters Network
- Launch new products and features, evaluate them for ongoing impact (positive or negative), and iterate
- Work collaboratively with the rest of the network team so that technology supports and enables overall network strategy (ex: civic reporting and online learning initiatives within the Documenters Network)
- Oversee technical development through sprint planning, prioritizing issues, reviewing code and contributing major features to the platform
- Understand and engage the audiences that use Documenters.org and related tools, and guide regular improvements to Documenters.org in response to those users
Program efficiency and team management
- Coordinate development and data accessibility by providing direction and feedback to our technical partners and collaborators, including developers, designers, and data analysts
- Manage relationships with third-party technology partners and forge new technology partnerships to serve our members.
- Report to Documenters Network staff and members on progress with the platform and gather feedback to inform future development.
- Communicate about technology with a wide range of people, and be willing to contribute to organization-wide decision-making
Some things you might work on
- Gathering feedback from Documenters site partners for a new Documenters.org feature and coordinating development needs with technical partners at Public Data Works
- Developing new ways to make programmatic data and metrics more visible to site staff in collaboration with technical partners at Coεmeta
- A deep dive on ethical and legal considerations as they relate to data collection and how our program participants are made aware of data provided and collected
- Open-sourcing Documenters.org—and, eventually, working with our City Scrapers volunteers to engage new contributors
To apply for this job please visit www.citybureau.org.