Around the world, cities are bringing the practice of innovation into government as a way to address pressing urban challenges and improve the quality of life for residents. Recently, the City of Detroit was selected by Bloomberg Philanthropies to receive a grant to establish a dedicated Innovation Team. The City of Detroit’s cross-functional Innovation Team is housed within the Mayor’s Office and is charged with developing and implementing innovative solutions to the city’s most pressing challenges. Together, the Innovation Team will work with its partners in city government to disrupt the notion of what is possible, tap into new perspectives, and restlessly search for innovative solutions to the root causes of pressing urban problems. To accomplish this mission, Innovation Team staff will deploy a range of strategies, including quantitative analysis, qualitative research, and human-centered design principles to create fresh, bold solutions with speed and agility.
Innovation Team members believe in the power of cities — and city government — to improve people’s lives. As a founding member of Detroit’s Innovation Team, the Senior Data Scientist is uniquely positioned to harness the power of data to drive innovative policy-making and tangible progress. You will lead all aspects of the Innovation Team’s quantitative work, from operationalizing access to key datasets, to structuring analyses, to communicating results.
A successful Senior Data Scientist has deep technical expertise combined with excellent communication and relationship-building skills. You enjoy and excel at collaborating with non-quantitative colleagues to frame the right questions and discover the real-life meaning behind the data. You are systematic and organized in your analysis, but also flexible and adaptive to the changing needs of the team. You know how to choose the right tools and techniques for the job without over-engineering. You are a team player with a can-do attitude.
The Senior Data Scientist’s responsibilities include:
- Leading all quantitative analysis for the team
- Employing diverse quantitative methodologies and software packages, including data validation, joining of diverse datasets, time-series analysis, comparative/cross-sectional analysis, GIS mapping, regression analysis, etc.
- Producing compelling and intuitive data visualizations to drive comprehension of complex topics and concepts for a broad range of stakeholders
- Building relationships with data providers and stakeholders in diverse city agencies and external partners to augment the datasets available to the Innovation Team
- Strategically building out the Innovation Team’s data infrastructure
- Skillfully communicating the key insights and questions revealed by the data
- Championing the use of data to drive decisions throughout the Innovation Team’s work
- Collaborating with other Innovation Team members to distill the results of rich, multi-method qualitative and quantitative analysis into key insights and clear action plans
- Developing metrics and measurement systems to measure the impact of the Innovation Team’s work and policy solutions
- Communicating research methodologies and results to non-quantitative fellow team members, City partners, and other stakeholders
- Mentoring junior analysts and interns
- 5+ years relevant experience managing data and conducting quantitative analysis
- Highly proficient in software and languages such as STATA, R, SAS, SQL, Python, GIS software, Tableau, Excel, etc.
- In-depth knowledge of quantitative, statistical analysis, and data visualization techniques
- Strong ability to communicate complex concepts to diverse audiences and stakeholders
- Excellent written and oral communication
- Prior experience collaborating with stakeholders to develop requirements
- Strong sense of service to residents of Detroit
- A graduate degree in a relevant field (computer science, statistics, economics, public policy, etc.) is preferred
- Experience with municipal governance is a plus
Compensation & Appointment
- Salary: $90,000 plus full benefits
- The Senior Data Scientist position is offered as an appointment in the Mayor’s office. The initial term of the appointment is approximately two years. The appointment term may be extended based on performance and funding.
Apply online until June 11.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/detroit/jobs/1752228/senior-data-scientist?keywords=innovation&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs →