DrivenData brings the transformative power of data science to organizations tackling the world’s biggest challenges. We run online machine learning challenges with social impact, and we work directly with mission-driven organizations to drive change through data science and engineering.
We are looking for an experienced data scientist who is interested in using their job to take on tough social challenges and build real-world applications. As a senior member of a small team your role will include planning projects in collaboration with our clients, architecting data science solutions, advising on statistical and machine learning techniques, writing and reviewing code, and managing end-to-end projects, data scientists, and client relationships. This position blends responsibilities of a manager and individual contributor.
We pride ourselves on being a great place to work and to learn. We take the development of our team members very seriously and we value the priorities that we each have in our lives at work and outside of work. We like to tackle problems that matter as a team. We help each other develop clean, well-organized, well-documented code in service of correct and reproducible data science. We believe the work we do should positively impact people’s lives.
We’re different because we focus on delivering solutions. We are not a research lab or product company—instead, we work directly with organizations to build data capabilities that they can start using now.
- Strong proficiency in Python a necessity—especially the data science stack
- Experience developing data science models, workflows, and software for real world applications and working with imperfect data
- Working on a small team means doing a little bit of a lot of things. We’re looking for somebody who can ask the right questions to figure out what is important, iterate between brainstorming together, working independently, and managing other data scientists, scope new data science projects, and exercise sound judgment to make reasonable decisions under conditions of ambiguity.
- Communication is a core data science skill at DrivenData. Doing client-facing work involves articulating concepts, interpreting results, and selecting the method that satisfies the constraints of the project.
- Working with non-expert organizations means me need to turn uncertainty into a reasonable path forward. As a team, we value arguments for how to proceed based on evidence, and we want somebody who will present their opinion and engage in a discussion around the best way forward—especially when that takes into account the broader context of the project.
- We value a positive attitude and the ability to adapt, learn, and collaborate.
- We embrace the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other’s differences. Our work benefits from and thrives on the unique perspectives brought by each person on our team. We’re proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.
Here are some of the things you’d be doing on an ordinary day:
- Meeting with clients to understand their needs and design a solution that works
- Coordinating with data scientists on the team to plan how to build a data science solution
- Analysis and modeling in Jupyter notebooks, creating data pipelines, and assessing potential datasets, tools, and approaches
- Translating the results of analysis into implications for people and problems
- Maintaining well-organized project code and conducting code review for data scientists
- Building out tools and applications for internal, client, and open source uses
- Defining project plans and contributing to new project proposals
- Managing teammates, subcontractors and clients to carry out effective end-to-end data science projects
Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.
- Fluent with core data science tools and methods (Python, pandas, scikit-learn, numpy, jupyter, git and GitHub, etc.)
- Working familiarity with the tools and practices used in software engineering and deployment (including test-driven deployment, containerization (ex. Docker), platform as a service (ex. Heroku), and infrastructure as a service (ex. AWS, Azure)
- Experience working with messy data and real-world applications
- Experience managing data science projects end-to-end
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
Nice to have
- Experience managing other data scientists
- Experience developing data science project proposals
- Domain experience in social impact sectors
We offer competitive salary and benefits including flexible work and unlimited vacation, health coverage, and choice in the computing equipment you use.
To apply for this job please visit drivendata.workable.com.