Grammarly empowers people to thrive and connect, whenever and wherever they communicate. Every day, 30 million people and 30,000 teams around the world use our AI-powered writing assistant. All of this begins with our team collaborating in a values-driven and learning-oriented environment.
To achieve our ambitious goals, we’re looking for an Engineering Manager to drive research initiatives and lead a team at the cutting edge of machine learning (ML), natural language processing (NLP), and deep learning (DL). The person in this role will bring state-of-the-art research to Grammarly and find new solutions for problems that have never been solved before. They’ll work with a team that includes research scientists, software engineers, and linguists who think with an eye on the big picture about the state of NLP and opportunities to help people communicate more effectively.
Grammarly’s engineers and researchers have the freedom to innovate and uncover breakthroughs—and, in turn, influence our product roadmap. The complexity of our technical challenges is growing rapidly as we scale our interfaces, algorithms, and infrastructure. Read more about our stack or hear from our team on our technical blog.
As an Engineering Manager on the Applied Research team, you will drive innovation and implement research initiatives that are crucial to meeting our ambitious product roadmap. Most of the problems we’re tackling haven’t been solved, which provides the opportunity for creativity and innovative problem-solving.
In this role, you will:
- Manage, grow, and motivate a team developing state-of-the-art tools for enhancing communication with ML, NLP, and DL.
- Identify new research opportunities to drive innovation and advance Grammarly’s intelligent communication assistant.
- Stay up to date with the latest research trends that could improve our product.
- Build connections and collaborate with teams across Grammarly that develop our intelligence features.
- Balance owning mission-critical research and building features around our ambitious product roadmap.
- Be a thought leader and contribute to cross-functional discussions that influence our product.
- Represent Grammarly’s research at top conferences and cultivate collaborations within the broader research community.
We’re looking for someone who
- Embodies our EAGER values—is ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable.
- Can collaborate in person 2–4 weeks per quarter, traveling if necessary to the hub where the team is based.
- Has 3+ years of experience managing research engineering teams.
- Has experience as an influential and effective thought partner with product teams, is proactive and creative, and shows strong communication and prioritization skills.
- Has strong analytical and critical thinking skills as well as a strong bias toward actionable insights.
- Can solve large, complex problems with multiple stakeholders and no obvious solution.
- Applies creativity to solve problems that haven’t been solved before.
- Follows the latest research developments to apply them to our use cases and to push the state of the art forward.
- Understands traditional machine learning algorithms and deep learning as well as how to use them effectivel in practice.
- Holds a graduate degree in computer science or closely related field and has 3+ years of relevant industry experience.
Support for you, professionally and personally
Professional growth: We hire people we trust, and we give team members autonomy to do their best work. We also support professional development with training, coaching, and regular feedback.
A connected team: Grammarly builds a product that helps people connect, and we apply this mindset to our own team. We have a highly collaborative culture supported by our EAGER values. We also take time to celebrate our colleagues and accomplishments with global, local, and team-specific events and programs.
Comprehensive benefits: Grammarly offers all team members competitive pay along with a benefits package encompassing superior health care (including mental health benefits). We also offer support to set up a home office, ample and defined time off, gym and recreation stipends, 401(k) matching, and more.
For Colorado-based employment: The salary range for this position is $156,000 – $326,000/year; however, base pay offered may vary considerably depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The compensation package includes a wide range of medical, dental, vision, financial, and other benefits, as well as equity.
We encourage you to apply
At Grammarly, we value our differences, and we encourage all—especially those whose identities are traditionally underrepresented in tech organizations—to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Grammarly will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the New York City Fair Chance Act. Grammarly is an equal opportunity employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program.
Grammarly team members who will be collaborating at our New York hub must be based in the United States or Canada.
To apply for this job please visit www.grammarly.com.