Website Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
Predictive Ecology Postdoctoral Fellow – 95292
Organization: EB-Environ Genomics & Systems Bio
Berkeley Lab’s Environmental Genomics & Systems Biology (EGSB) Division is looking for a Predictive Ecology Postdoctoral Fellow to join the Systems Biology Knowledgebase Team (KBase)!
In this exciting role, you will develop advanced AI/ML Data-Analytics for predictive ecology and graph representation of knowledge. This position will develop and execute novel machine learning methods for predictive biology for microbes, plants, and their communities.
As part of the Arkin Laboratory (https://arkinlab.bio/), you will have the opportunity to collaborate with computational scientists and biologists to develop new GPU-enabled infrastructure on the National Energy Research Scientific Computing Center (NERSC)’s new Cray supercomputer, “Perlmutter”. Additionally, you will have the opportunity to pursue and lead publication of novel genomics-based research that leverages the KBase Knowledge Engine and Relation Engine.
What You Will Do:
• Collaborate with targeted KBase users and other stakeholders to identify high value science that can be performed with suitable extensions to the KBase platform and data sets.
• Publish scientific papers in peer-reviewed journals and present findings at seminars and conferences.
• Develop, package, and apply new and community computational methods in the KBase platform, which will be shared and disseminated across the microbiome community.
• Work with the KBase team to develop the integrated data science platform to support inference across system reference source and shared user data.
• Work with targeted users to perform sophisticated analyses of heterogeneous biological data of plants, microbes, and their communities to discover and predict biological function and behavior and compare against experimental observations.
• Collaborate with other members of the project research team both internal and external to Berkeley Lab and develop new collaborations as appropriate to further the scientific goals of the program.
What is Required:
• A recent Ph.D. in Computer Science, Data Science, Machine Learning, Chemical Engineering, Bioengineering, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Chemical Biology, Plant Biology, Microbiology, Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, or a related field.
• A strong background in programming, data science, computational biology, and plant and/or microbial biology/ecology.
• Strong oral and written communication skills including demonstrated technical writing capabilities to efficiently organize data for publication and presentation
• Demonstrated interpersonal skills including the ability to effectively interact with a diverse technical and scientific staff within a collaborative interdisciplinary team environment.
What We Prefer:
• Experience developing software tools and applications.
• Familiarity with AGILE project management.
For full consideration, please apply by April 28, 2022 with the following application materials:
• Cover Letter – Describe your interest in this position and the relevance of your background.
• Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume.
• This is a full time, exempt from overtime pay (monthly paid), 2 year appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds, and ongoing operational needs. You must have less than 3 years of paid postdoctoral experience.
• This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes with predetermined postdoctoral step rates dependent on years of experience post-degree.
• Salary is commensurate with experience.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
• This position is eligible for a hybrid work schedule – a combination of teleworking and performing work on site at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA. Work schedules are dependent on business needs. Individuals working a hybrid schedule must reside within 150 miles of Berkeley Lab.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://188.8.131.52/counter.php?id=226122 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Learn About Us:
Berkeley Lab (LBNL, http://www.lbl.gov/) addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
Berkeley Lab’s Postdoc Program is committed to providing Postdoctoral Researchers and Visiting scholars with a positive and impactful experience to jump-start their career through premium research and career development, networking opportunities, mentoring programs, and a strong community. For more information, please visit our Berkeley Lab Postdoc Resources site (http://postdocresources.lbl.gov/) and our Berkeley Lab Postdoc Association site (http://postdoc.lbl.gov/).
Based on University of California Policy – SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program and U.S Federal Government requirements, Berkeley Lab requires that all members of our community obtain the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they are eligible. As a condition of employment at Berkeley Lab, all Covered Individuals must Participate in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program by providing proof of Full Vaccination or submitting a request for Exception or Deferral. Visit covid.lbl.gov (https://covid.lbl.gov/) for more information.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA, https://diversity.lbl.gov/ideaberkeleylab/) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments.
Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab’s mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links:
Know your rights, click here (https://www.dol.gov/agencies/ofccp/posters) for the supplement: Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision (https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_%20English_formattedESQA508c.pdf) under 41 CFR 60-1.4.
To apply for this job please visit 184.108.40.206.