Website Nevada State College
Assistant Professor of Data Science/Analytics
Nevada State College (NSC) appreciates your interest in employment. To ensure your application process runs smoothly, we ask that you keep in mind the following when completing your application:
• The required documents are listed below on the posting. Your application may not be considered if you do not attach the required documents.
• Draft applications are saved automatically and can be accessed through your candidate home account. Completed applications must be submitted prior to the close of the recruitment. Once a recruitment has closed, applications will no longer be accepted.
• Please note, recruitment will close without notice when a hiring decision has been made.
If you need assistance or have questions regarding the application process, please contact the Human Resources department at (702) 992-2320 or mailto:email@example.com.
Nevada State College (http://www.nsc.edu) invites applications for an Assistant Professor of Data Science/Analytics to begin fall 2021. The individual in this role will teach courses in computer science, machine learning, and data visualization, while helping the college build the only bachelor’s degree in Data Science in the state of Nevada. The program addresses a growing, market-driven need in the region, and will provide students with essential computer programming skills, a robust foundation in data management and analysis, and the core liberal arts training needed to succeed in a variety of fields and career endeavors. Nevada State College is dedicated to the development of this program, particularly due to its promising intersections with existing academic programs at NSC and its ability to address workforce needs. Nevada State College sets itself apart for its excellence in teaching, thus we seek a colleague who is dedicated to teaching to join the only Interdisciplinary Data Science degree in Nevada.
About Nevada State College
Founded in 2002, Nevada State College (NSC) is a four-year public college located on a developing 512-acre campus in the foothills of Henderson, Nevada (adjacent to Las Vegas). Our faculty members enjoy the rare opportunity to mold the college as it continues to grow into a cornerstone of higher education in Southern Nevada. NSC faculty work in state-of-the-art facilities that feature “smart” classrooms. The average class size across campus is 27 students. For more information about NSC, watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLG0CjbiOd8https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p30x3TXQbms
NSC, a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI), serves over 5,000 students who are highly diverse and largely underserved; a majority of our students are first generation, racial/ethnic minorities, parents, and/or returning students. As a teaching-oriented institution, our faculty focus on high-quality instruction, engaging learning experiences, and innovative techniques to improve student learning.
Diversity and Inclusion Statement:
At Nevada State College, we celebrate the storied backgrounds of our campus community. We operate with a shared commitment to represent and serve the diverse population of Nevada and to encourage the exchange of ideas that respects and honors the lived experiences of our students, staff, and faculty. We foster a culture of inclusive excellence so our members can live authentically, fully engage, and flourish. In order to strengthen the college and progress its mission, the college dedicates itself to intentional and ongoing reflection to meeting the evolving needs of NSC, the surrounding communities, and the State of Nevada.
The ideal candidate will share the College’s commitment to educating its racially and socioeconomically diverse student population. As of Fall 2019, we currently enroll over 5,500 students in which 38% are Hispanic, 12% are Asian/Pacific Islander, 8% are Black/African American, 26% are White, and 10% are multiracial. The successful candidate will join a department dedicated to the use of curriculum that’s culturally responsive to the students it serves.
Throughout your application materials, we encourage you to highlight your background in fostering an inclusive campus culture and supporting the success of students who are historically underrepresented in higher education. For example, your efforts might include contributions in the areas of teaching, mentoring, advising, research, and/or institutional service.
The faculty member will teach courses in computer programming, data visualization, machine learning, and the individual’s areas of expertise. The program is interdisciplinary in nature, with expected emphases in key data fields (e.g., business, biology, psychology) and closely tailored to opportunities in the local labor market. The successful applicant will have the opportunity to help build a computing curriculum that serves the needs of students across these professional trajectories
The standard NSC teaching load is 24 credits per academic year (four courses per regular semester). New faculty receive a 6-credit reduction during their first academic year. Core responsibilities of the position include:
• Teach lower- and upper-division courses related to data science/analytics, including classes in computer programming, data management, machine learning, and data visualization, and selected courses related to your disciplinary expertise
• Help foster practical, hands-on experiences for students, both within the classroom and as field experiences
• Serve on departmental and college-wide committees
• Engage in scholarly activity within your discipline or in the scholarship of teaching and learning
• Ph.D. in any content area with specialization and/or experience in data science/analytics or informatics. Candidates who are ABD are eligible to apply, with the expectation that the Ph.D. will be completed by July 31, 2021
• Demonstrated teaching excellence
• Demonstrated proficiency in computer programming (particularly in Python and SQL)
• Demonstrated proficiency with data management, analysis, and visualization
• Demonstrated commitment to a diverse, non-traditional, first-generation student population
• Demonstrated experience with basic machine learning techniques
• Successful experience with large databases
• Demonstrated ability to work with data structures and algorithms
Rank, Salary & Benefits:
• Assistant Professor; Tenure-track
• Budgeted salary for this position is $75,000 per year (9-month appointment)
• Nevada State College offers a competitive salary, excellent benefits, including 15.25% retirement match, beginning balance of 30 sick leave days, 11 paid holidays, educational benefits, and two health insurance plans that can be supplemented with flexible spending accounts or health savings accounts
This Posting is Open Until Filled
Qualified individuals are encouraged to apply immediately. Lists of eligible candidates will be established and hiring may occur early in the recruiting process. Recruitment will close without notice when a hiring decision has been made.
The review of applications begins in November 2020 and will continue until the position is filled. NSC is committed to building a culturally diverse faculty and strongly encourages applications from women and racial minorities.
Special Instructions for Internal NSHE Applicants
NSC employees or employees within the Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE, UNLV, UNR, NSC, CSN, TMCC, WNC, GBC, or DRI) MUST use the “Find Jobs” process within Workday to find and apply for jobs at NSC and other NSHE Institutions. Once you log into Workday, type “Find Jobs” in the search box which will navigate to the internal job posting site.
If you complete an application outside of the internal application process, your application will be returned and you will have to reapply as an internal applicant which may delay your application.
Please upload the following documents:
• Detailed CV or resume listing relevant qualifications and experience;
• Statement of Teaching Philosophy;
• Names and contact information of three references, at least one of whom can speak to your teaching ability (you will be notified before references are contacted).
• Letter of interest indicating why you are a good fit for the position and Nevada State College. In this letter, please address the core knowledge and skill areas that you would emphasize in the curriculum of this degree (with a particular aim at maximizing the success of our graduates in today’s workforce).
The search committee may ask for more materials at later stages in the application process.
Throughout your application materials, we encourage you to highlight your background in fostering an inclusive campus culture and supporting the success of students who are historically underrepresented in higher education.
Applications that do not include the required uploaded documents may not be considered.
Posting Close Date
Note to Applicant
Applicants should fully describe their qualifications and experience with specific reference to each of the minimum and preferred qualifications in their cover letter. The search committee will use this information during the initial review of application materials.
References will be contacted at the appropriate phase of the recruitment process.
This position may require a criminal background check to be conducted on the candidate(s) selected for hire.
As part of the hiring process, applicants for positions in the Nevada System of Higher Education may be required to demonstrate the ability to perform job-related tasks.
Nevada State College does not currently sponsor Visas, all applicants must be eligible to work in the United States without sponsorship.
Nevada State College
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2043188
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.