Numina’s mission is to make cities more responsive, so they are safer, healthier, and more equitable for the people who live in them. We make a hardware and software computer vision platform that senses bicycle, pedestrian, and other street traffic and delivers real-time intelligence — without surveillance — to help urban planners and municipal governments design better streets and public places. We are looking for passionate people to join us as we pursue our shared vision of more responsive cities.
We’re looking for a software engineer to help design, build and optimize our back-end data storage and processing systems. In this role, you will work with the rest of the engineering team to extend, improve and scale our product’s capabilities.
WHAT YOU WILL DO HERE:
You will be developing the parts of our system that store and process sensor data. This is our first full-time hire for this area, so you will have a lot of responsibility for the design and architecture of the system. We also expect this to turn into a leadership role as our company grows. Some specific challenges you’ll take on at first:
- Design and implement back-end architectures to support sensor data processing and delivery needs at scale
- Build batch and stream processing data pipelines to support near real-time analytics on time-series and event data
- Design, implement, and optimize APIs for both internal and external consumption
- Configure and tune infrastructure, making use of AWS services where appropriate
WHO YOU ARE:
You have 3+ years of software development experience using multiple program languages and frameworks. Like us, you value creativity, curiosity, and intellectual honesty, and you are committed to solving problems with us together as a team. You may have experience with some of the following, but if you don’t, you’re excited to learn them:
- Developing with Python
- Developing and deploying low-latency, highly scalable web services
- Designing useful and usable APIs (REST, GraphQL)
- Using messaging systems such as Kafka and working with stream processing pipelines
- Designing and building ETL processes
- Working with multiple types of databases (relational, NoSQL, time-series)
- Deploying to AWS services such as Lambda, Kinesis, Redshift, DynamoDB
WHO WE ARE:
We strive to be a team of positive, open-minded, respectful, resilient, dedicated, accountable, logical, creative, and empathetic people. We dedicate our days to building an amazing product that makes a real difference in the world. We love learning from each other and learning new things together. We work together in Brooklyn, New York, and we recognize that everyone’s personal life is unique, so our working hours are flexible and so is our work-from-home policy.
Numina is committed to seeking and sustaining diverse perspectives in its team. We encourage women, people of color, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and others from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
We are backed by investors including betaworks, Shasta Ventures, 500 Startups, URBAN-X (MINI BMW), and notable angels. Past projects have been supported by The Clinton Foundation, The Knight Foundation, and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. We are a small, mission-driven company that is growing quickly. If you’d like to join our laser-focused and fast-paced team, we enthusiastically invite you to apply.
Please email your resume, a cover letter and any links to your personal website, projects, or GitHub account to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com