Website Oak Ridge National Laboratory
The Advanced Computing in Health Sciences (ACH) section at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory is seeking qualified applicants for a Data Engineer position for health research projects. The research activities include HIPPA compliant research data that has been entrusted to ORNL. As such, you will have the opportunity to work on some of the most challenging and impactful research and development programs in healthcare informatics, bioinformatics, and computer science.
This position will work directly within a medical research data project as part of the research team to deliver reporting workflows as well as data management and data lifecycles. As a Data Engineer, you should be comfortable around Linux, SQL, Python, containers, Pandas, Spark, and source control in a high security environment.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
As a Data Engineer you will be responsible for:
- Developing high-scale, robust data warehouses, and data lakes with special focus on the state-of-the-art solutions for healthcare, life sciences, and genomics.
- Interfacing with research teams to understand data needs, and providing subject matter expertise to research teams, and other team members about the data models, query optimizations, and schema interpretation.
- Designing, building and launching new data/study marts for the major national research programs.
- Designing, building and launching new data quality, data extraction, transformation and loading processes.
- Designing and developing architectures for intake, curation, organization, and dissemination of data in support of data science and related disciplines.
- Designing and development of high-performance database architectures.
- Researching and evaluating the state-of-the-art data and information management technologies.
- Working on a variety of data assignments; collaborate with scientists and engineers, and expect to produce reliable data products and systems.
- Working with Big Data processing frameworks such as Spark and Pandas
- Working with relational SQL and python programming languages
- B.S. in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering, or closely related field
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in database design and development.
- M.S or Ph.D. degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering, or closely related field.
- 5+ years of experience in basic and advanced SQL, database programming, and scripting languages (Python preferred).
- 5+ years of experience in data warehousing systems and database system administration.
- Expertise with SQL Server is strongly preferred.
- Experience in designing analytics data systems (OLTP, etc.).
- Familiarity with Big Data and NoSQL architectures.
- Demonstrated experience with collecting, organizing, storing, and preparing data analysis.
- Ability to conduct tasks independently and communicate effectively to team members and stakeholders.
- Experience with heath care informatics, and clinical data is highly desired.
Benefits at ORNL:
ORNL offers competitive pay and benefits programs to attract and retain talented people. The laboratory offers many employee benefits, including medical and retirement plans and flexible work hours, to help you and your family live happy and healthy. Employee amenities such as on-site fitness, banking, and cafeteria facilities are also provided for convenience.
Other benefits include:
Prescription Drug Plan, Dental Plan, Vision Plan, 401(k) Retirement Plan, Contributory Pension Plan, Life Insurance, Disability Benefits, Generous Vacation and Holidays, Parental Leave, Legal Insurance with Identity Theft Protection, Employee Assistance Plan, Flexible Spending Accounts, Health Savings Accounts, Wellness Programs, Educational Assistance, Relocation Assistance, and Employee Discounts.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.ornl.gov.