Website Oak Ridge National Laboratory
The Advanced Computing in Health Sciences (ACH) section at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory is seeking qualified applicants for a Machine Learning Engineer position for health research projects. The research activities include HIPAA compliant research data that has been entrusted to ORNL. As such, you will have the opportunity to work on some of the most challenging and impactful research and development programs in healthcare informatics, bioinformatics, high performance computing and deep learning.
The candidate will work in a collaborative research and development environment focusing on designing and implementing robust and high performance applications for biomedical research. The position requires innovative thinking to design and implement machine learning, statistical, probabilistic, or algorithmic solutions to real world problems in the healthcare and biomedical research.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
As a Machine Learning Engineer you will be responsible for:
- Developing high-quality code following best practices in the community for documentation, provenance, version control, etc.
- Managing, maintaining, and refactoring ML codebases, pipelines, and workflows.
- Collaborating closely with research staff to design and implement novel ML approaches.
- Implementing scalable ML methods and workflows for high-performance computing (HPC) resources, in close collaboration with research staff and computing technical staff.
- Mobilizing and leading data analysis activities on projects with a focus on common deliverables, goals, and timelines.
- Troubleshooting data analysis issues, including implementation issues, hyperparameter choices, and modeling decisions.
- Contributing to the preparation of manuscripts and dissemination of research results in publications and conferences.
- Working on a variety of data analysis assignments in collaboration with scientists and engineers.
- Working in secure enclaves and open computing environments on a wide variety of applied areas.
- Conducting tasks independently and communicate effectively to team members and stakeholders.
- Delivering ORNL’s mission by aligning behaviors, priorities, and interactions with our core values of Impact, Integrity, Teamwork, Safety, and Service. Promote diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility by fostering a respectful workplace – in how we treat one another, work together, and measure success.
- B.S. and 5+ years of relevant experience, or an M.S. and 4+ year of relevant experience, or a Ph.D. and 2+ years of experience in a relevant area.
- Degree area should be in Computer Science, Statistics, Information Systems, Engineering, or closely related field.
- Significant expertise with the Python ecosystem for data science.
- Significant expertise with PyTorch or Tensorflow.
- Foundational understanding of supervised and unsupervised learning, reinforcement learning, and deep learning.
- Experience with large, multimodal datasets.
- Experience developing scalable ML algorithms and workflows for HPC resources.
- Experience working on Linux/Unix platforms.
- Self-disciplined work ethic and eagerness to tackle challenging research problems.
- Experience with heath care informatics and clinical data is highly desired.
Benefits at ORNL:
ORNL offers competitive pay and benefits programs to attract and retain talented people. The laboratory offers many employee benefits, including medical and retirement plans and flexible work hours, to help you and your family live happy and healthy. Employee amenities such as on-site fitness, banking, and cafeteria facilities are also provided for convenience.
Other benefits include:
Prescription Drug Plan, Dental Plan, Vision Plan, 401(k) Retirement Plan, Contributory Pension Plan, Life Insurance, Disability Benefits, Generous Vacation and Holidays, Parental Leave, Legal Insurance with Identity Theft Protection, Employee Assistance Plan, Flexible Spending Accounts, Health Savings Accounts, Wellness Programs, Educational Assistance, Relocation Assistance, and Employee Discounts.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.hpcwire.com.