Website Oak Ridge National Laboratory
The Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) seeks experienced researchers in all areas of research related to artificial intelligence and machine learning at the edge, including reinforcement learning, nature inspired algorithms, deep learning, agent based modeling, and natural language processing. We are specifically interested in research focused on the development of new algorithms and methods that can be used on edge devices and novel computer architectures such neuromorphic and quantum computing in conjunction with as high performance computing.
We are a community of top researchers who are ready to tackle the hardest problems faced by the country and the world, such as the development of advanced materials, clean energy, national security, and supercomputing. ORNL is an open science laboratory, where research staff are expected to participate in and demonstrate leadership in the international research community.
As a senior research staff member, you will have the opportunity to help solve some of the most challenging problems this country faces. You will perform ground breaking research on a wide range of significant problems with the fastest computing platforms in the world. This position requires novel thinking, teamwork, and discovery in finding new approaches for analyzing massive and complex data, collaborating with worldwide experts, and publishing ground breaking results.
Specific areas of research interest include:
- Emerging AI models for computing on edge devices
- Hands on experience in both practical and theoretical AI models on scientific datasets
- Hands on experience in scalability and performance of AI/ML algorithms, including both the ability to use computing hardware efficiently and the scaling of algorithms and HPC implementations,
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead high quality, basic and applied research projects and programs in artificial intelligence and machine learning algorithm on edge computing devices.
- Integrate research in AI/ML workflows and algorithms on edge devices to high performance computing systems
- Collaborate with internal and external researchers on a wide variety of AI/ML research and projects
- Collaborate with application scientists inside and outside of the laboratory to advance the scientific mission of the group, laboratory, the Department of Energy and other sponsors
- Interact with the appropriate program offices and other agencies to develop and maintain program funding for basic and applied research in relevant areas of AI and ML
- Represent group-level work to review committees and outside bodies as appropriate
- Write peer-reviewed papers, technical reports, and proposals for internal and external release and represent the organization by giving technical presentations in large public forums
- Mentor early career research staff, postdocs and students
- Maintain membership in professional, academic, and research organizations
- A Ph.D. in computer science, computer engineering or related area with 5+ years of research experience in AI or ML, beyond the Ph.D.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interact with senior levels of program management
- Demonstrated ability to lead large and complex projects
- A successful record of developing research partnerships and collaborative relationships with universities, industry, and research laboratories
- Experience in high-performance computing and software development,
ORNL Ethics and Conduct:
As a member of the ORNL scientific community, you will be expected to commit to ORNL’s Research Code of Conduct. Our full code of conduct, and a statement by the Lab Director’s office can be found here: https://www.ornl.gov/content/research-integrity
Benefits at ORNL:
ORNL offers competitive pay and benefits programs to attract and retain talented people. The laboratory offers many employee benefits, including medical and retirement plans and flexible work hours, to help you and your family live happy and healthy. Employee amenities such as on-site fitness, banking, and cafeteria facilities are also provided for convenience.
Other benefits include:
Prescription Drug Plan, Dental Plan, Vision Plan, 401(k) Retirement Plan, Contributory Pension Plan, Life Insurance, Disability Benefits, Generous Vacation and Holidays, Parental Leave, Legal Insurance with Identity Theft Protection, Employee Assistance Plan, Flexible Spending Accounts, Health Savings Accounts, Wellness Programs, Educational Assistance, Relocation Assistance, and Employee Discounts.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.ornl.gov.