We are seeking an experienced, proactive data scientist to join our newly formed engineering team. An ideal candidate will have a strong background in natural language processing methods and experience with a range of text classification problems. We have a particular interest in event extraction/detection, entity recognition, slot-filling tasks, document classification, and zero-/few-shot learning. Secondary experience in forecasting, time series, and/or active learning methods will also be beneficial. As this is a new team, we are looking for candidates who are willing to help grow the organization by taking on a range of responsibilities across the technical spectrum, as well as effectively collaborate to deliver findings to our customers.
The position may require some on-site work in Northern Virginia for team and client meetings.
- Research and develop machine learning methods for a wide range of text extraction and classification tasks, often with limited labels and/or in multiple languages
- Design and implement tools for monitoring and forecasting trends in signals derived from text data
- Work effectively, in an often self-directed environment, to estimate timelines, communicate progress, and identify avenues for future research and development
- Perform analyses and generate detailed data products for internal stakeholders and external clients
- Institute MLOps principles in our software development practices and platform development
- Deliver version-controlled, documented, and reproducible analyses and experiments that can be readily transitioned into scalable inference services
Work Experience and Skills:
- Advanced degree in computer science, math/statistics, engineering, linguistics, or a related field
- 5+ years of experience in the data science field (this is flexible depending on academic work)
- Proficiency with major Python data science libraries, including the SciPy stack and Scikit-learn
- Experience with at least one deep learning and/or NLP framework (Tensorflow, PyTorch, Transformers, etc.)
- Familiarity with other commonly used technologies including linux operating systems, SQL/NoSQL databases, etc.
- Ability to use git, as well as other version, workflow, and project management tools and technologies
- Possess strong communications skills, with the ability to communicate complex ideas clearly and concisely to a range of audiences
- Aptitude for learning quickly and a willingness to take on a wide range of responsibilities
- Experience with other technologies and platforms in our stack, including: Docker, Dask, MLFlow, DVC, Kubernetes, GCP
- Prior work in the marketing/communications and/or defense sectors
- Ability to obtain and/or maintain a US government security clearance
Parenthetic is a small strategic consultancy, helping clients advance the way they influence attitudes and behaviors. We take a multidisciplinary approach to communication analysis, identifying and understanding the dynamic factors that will impact success. We then apply that knowledge to assist our clients in making smarter communication decisions designed to influence attitudes and behaviors. Leveraging methods developed in the commercial industry and refined for use by the USG, Parenthetic works at every stage of the communication development cycle, providing services in strategy and design; audience, competitor and communication landscape analysis; message content creation and assessment; and quantifying campaign effects.
Parenthetic is headquartered in Alexandria, VA and offers competitive salary, generous and flexible paid time off policy, comprehensive medical, dental, and vision benefits, and a retirement plan with company match.
Parenthetic is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other group protected by federal, state, or local law.
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.