Website Rhine-Waal University of Applied Sciences
For over ten years, Rhine-Waal University of Applied Sciences in the Lower Rhine region of Germany has provided an innovative, interdisciplinary and international education to young minds from around the world. We offer a total of 36 undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes in four multidisciplinary faculties: Technology and Bionics, Life Sciences, Society and Economics, and Communication and Environment. Our scientifically-oriented degree programmes combine an applied academic approach with a broad international scope into a high-quality education that emphasises teaching and research with real-world relevance. 75% of our degree programmes are taught in English as well. Over 7,300 students from 122 different countries are currently pursuing their degree in our uniquely international and intercultural campus community. International collaboration is a strength of ours, seen and felt in our network of over 90 partner universities in 38 countries. Rhine-Waal University of Applied Sciences is not only connected to the larger world, but also deeply rooted in its Dutch-German EUREGIO home as well.
The Faculty of Life Sciences focuses on natural science competences. The diversity of subjects includes areas such as biotechnology, nutrition, health, agriculture, food, sustainability, quality management and the environment and offers an interdisciplinary platform for a first professional qualification after the Bachelor’s degree as well as research-oriented training in the Master’s area. Our modern facilities create excellent conditions for students, teachers and researchers. The faculty builds on the successful cooperation among colleagues, which is characterised by mutual respect, openness and good scientific practice.
We are currently seeking a qualified expert to support these goals in the Faculty of Life Sciences in Kleve in the following capacity:
Professor of Data Science
Salary grade “W2” according to LBesG NRW | Reference number 02/F2/22
YOUR FUTURE RESPONSIBILITIES
- You teach theory and practice of data analysis in the Bachelor’s and Master’s degree programmes (basic and elective courses in German and English) of the Faculty of Life Sciences, thereby laying the foundation for the generation, management and exploration of complex data in the student’s work
- Your research in cooperation with research institutions and industry adds to the specialization of the faculty
- You commit yourself to the academic self-administration for the advancement of the university
YOUR SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- A degree in mathematics, statistics, bioinformatics, natural sciences or a related area and a pertinent PhD
- Substantiated research competence in the field of data science in life sciences
- Inherent research interest in interdisciplinary cooperation with the disciplines of our faculty
- Proficiency of relevant programming environments such as R or SPSS and confident handling of large and complex data sets
- Teaching experience in the field of data analysis and experience in acquisition of third-party funding
- Language level C1 in German and English, to be proven in an appropriate form
- And of course: creativity, enthusiasm, teamwork and intercultural skills
WHAT WE OFFER YOU
Diverse, international and interdisciplinary work environment | flat hierarchies | family-friendly policies | exciting responsibilities | communication and exchanges at eye level | a rewarding job | a culture of mutual aid among colleagues | dynamic community | opportunities for personal development | responsibility and creative freedom | the opportunity to help shape the future of our academic culture
General requirements for the appointment of new professors are derived from § 36 of the Higher Education Act of North Rhine-Westphalia (Hochschulgesetz NRW). The following qualifications are therefore mandatory for all applicants to this position:
- A PhD in hand from a research university in a relevant field
- Excellent academic and research skills, usually demonstrated by the quality of a doctoral dissertation
- At least five years of relevant career experience in the applied use or development of research findings and methodology; at least three of these years must have been outside of higher education
Rhine-Waal University of Applied Sciences supports the professional development of women. Qualified women are expressly encouraged to apply. For positions in employee groups where women are underrepresented, in the event of equal suitability, aptitude and professional experience among applicants, women will be given preferential consideration over men, provided there are no compelling grounds for the hiring of a specific male applicant.
In the event of equal suitability, preferential consideration will also be given to suitable applicants with a severe disability or those recognised as such by virtue of § 2 (3), Volume IX of the German Social Security Code (SGB).
An appointment to this position under German private law is also possible.
Please submit your application at www.hochschule-rhein-waal.de/en/vacancies and add the usual application documents (cover letter, curriculum vitae, diplomas, relevant certificates, proof of activities in business and/or teaching (pedagogical suitability), if applicable, proof of severe disability) in a single PDF file.
Should you require further information about the duties, responsibilities or requirements of this position, please contact the head of the appeals board, Prof. Sylvia Moenickes (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org).
WE LOOK FORWARD TO RECEIVING YOUR APPLICATION BY NO LATER THAN 15.04.2022
For questions regarding the application process, please contact Ms Jäger at +49 (0)2821 80673-654.
To apply for this job please visit karriere.hochschule-rhein-waal.de.