Website SUNY Onondaga Community College
SUNY Onondaga Community College (OCC)
Assistant Professor – Applied Engineering Technology
Academic Career & Executive Search is pleased to SUNY Onondaga Community College in its search for Assistant Professor, Applied Engineering Technology.
For full consideration, please apply by February 15, 2024.
This is an exceptional time to join SUNY Onondaga (OCC) and the Department of Engineering as a faculty member of Applied Engineering Technology at the forefront of innovation and growth. With Micron’s substantial $100 Billion investment, Onondaga County is set to become home to one of the largest semiconductor fabrication facilities in U.S. history, poised to generate 50,000 new jobs locally. Anticipating a rise in enrollment for existing engineering and manufacturing programs, exciting innovations are already on the horizon for the OCC campus, including the development of expanded simulation areas to enrich hands-on student experiences, the establishment of multiple new research spaces, and the introduction of new curricula to address the rising demand. This is an excellent opportunity to be part of a highly collaborative team in setting the vision, designing courses, and growing the department.
Successful candidates will have college level teaching experience in related areas of technology and/or engineering, a highly collaborative work approach, a demonstrated hands-on approach to teaching, and demonstrated support for the vision of growth in the Department of Engineering and SUNY Onondaga.
This position reports to the Dean of Health and Technology.
Onondaga Community College offers a generous and competitive benefits package including an opportunity to participate in:
- New York State Teacher’s Retirement System or TIAA enrollment.
- Excellent health and dental insurance plans (qualifying domestic partner included).
- Generous PTO and Sick Leave.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- College-level teaching of Electrical, Electromechanical (Mechatronics), and/or Mechanical Technology courses and laboratories in content areas such as machining, manufacturing, engineering drawing creation, circuit design and analysis, digital electronics, microprocessor, programmable logic controllers, and other typical electromechanical technical areas
- Participation on committees
- Collaboration with colleagues to assess student learning outcomes.
- Be responsive to student questions and available for student support.
- Use appropriate technology to enhance learning.
- Assess learning outcomes and adapt curriculum to meet learning objectives.
- Demonstrate insight and encouragement in working with diverse student populations, especially students traditionally underrepresented in higher education.
- Provide appropriate academic advising to students to support timely degree completion.
- Be innovative in the presentation of lectures and hands-on learning activities that achieve learning outcomes.
- Provide timely feedback on students’ assignments and exams throughout each semester.
- Be accountable to meet the needs of the Department and the College, including timely submission of grades and other required materials.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of electromechanical applications in demand by local industry is also valued, including, but not limited to: hydraulics & pneumatics, robotics, soldering & electronic assembly, electrical test & measurement, mechanical assembly techniques, motors & controllers, sensors & machine vision, and industrial control systems
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite of products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Project)
- Familiar with some or all of the following software programs:
- Autocad, Inventor, Solidworks, Creo, Fusion 360
- LabView, PLC Programming, CNC Programming
- Matlab, Python
- Quartus II, Circuit Maker 6
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or closely-allied field
- Industry-recognized professional license or certification; and
- Minimum of three years of full-time employment in Engineering or closely allied field.
- Background in teaching college level courses
- Demonstrated connections with local industry
- Experience with the following machine tools:
- Manual Vertical & Horizontal Mills
- Engine Lathe
- 3 Axis Vertical CNC Milling
- CNC Programming
- Bilingual in Spanish & English (English and another language also will be considered)
About the Institution
Situated on a pristine 280-acre main campus in the town of Onondaga, bordering the city of Syracuse, SUNY Onondaga stands out as an educational leader in Central New York. Onondaga Community College (OCC) is a two-year, open access, public institution of higher education affiliated with the 64-campus State University of New York System. OCC serves a student body of over 8,000 students (4850 enrolled on campus, 3240 enrolled in college while attending local high schools). Of 4350 degree-seeking students, 36% are students of color; 34% are first generation in college; and 60% are eligible to receive Pell grants due to their low-income status. OCC offers numerous supports and wrap around services to assist this high-need population.
The College is located immediately outside the City of Syracuse, New York in suburban Onondaga County, the county selected by Micron Technology, Inc. in 2022 for a $100B investment in memory chip fabrication. OCC is proud to have been selected by Micron as its two-year partner in the training of semiconductor technicians. The City of Syracuse is also home to four major hospitals and numerous long-term care facilities employing tens of thousands of workers. Preparation for advanced technology, healthcare, and human services roles is a hallmark of the College’s educational practice.
Living in the Area
The uniqueness of Onondaga lies in its historical and cultural significance, as well as its natural features. The town is situated near Onondaga Lake, which has both historical and ecological importance as it was a vital resource for Native American communities. Onondaga features several parks and green spaces, offering residents and visitors opportunities for outdoor recreation. One notable area is Onondaga Lake Park, known for its scenic beauty and recreational activities.
Nearby the city of Syracuse and surrounding suburban, exurban, and rural areas offer a broad choice of lifestyles, urban amenities, and natural environment. Examples include: a professional symphony, professional theatre, numerous popular performing arts venues and local restaurants, excellent public schools, and a vibrant business community comprised of major engineering and technology firms, advanced manufacturing companies, business services, nationally and internationally recognized colleges and universities, and the healthcare organizations noted above. Central New York also boasts scenic beauty: mountains, valleys, the Finger Lakes wine region, and ample freshwater resources. Outdoor enthusiasts will enjoy both land and water activities spanning four distinct seasons. History was made in Central New York, and the next chapter is about to be written with an unprecedented investment in the semiconductor industry and a high tech and high touch workforce.
For full consideration, please apply by February 15, 2024.
To be viewed by the search firm, you must apply directly at: https://acesrch.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a21esjyomjhq
Please apply through the application link and do not email applications.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received and should include a cover letter and curriculum vita. Ideally cover letters should not exceed two pages. All applications are treated confidentially.
Inquiries, referrals, and nominations are also treated confidentially
Institution’s EEO Statement
It is the policy of the State University of New York (“the State University” or “SUNY”) that no discrimination against or harassment of individuals will occur on any of the campuses or in the programs or activities of the University. Furthermore, the University provides equal opportunity in employment for all qualified persons; prohibits discrimination in employment; and promotes the full realization of equal employment opportunity through a positive, continuing program for the University as a whole and for each constituent unit of the University.
To apply for this job please visit acesrch.applicantstack.com.