Syngenta is a global leader in agriculture; rooted in science and dedicated to bringing plant potential to life. Each of our 28,000 employees in more than 90 countries work together to solve one of humanity’s most pressing challenges: growing more food with fewer resources. A diverse workforce and an inclusive workplace environment are enablers of our ambition to be the most collaborative and trusted team in agriculture. Our employees reflect the diversity of our customers, the markets where we operate and the communities which we serve. No matter what your position, you will have a vital role in safely feeding the world and taking care of our planet. Join us and help shape the future of agriculture.
Through leading innovations, we help farmers around the world meet the challenge of feeding a growing population and taking care of our planet. We are currently seeking the Head of Decision Science for the Seeds Development, Analytics, and Data Science team in Durham, North Carolina.
The Head of Decision Science will help shape the future of agriculture by:
Building and managing industry-leading Analytics and Data Science capabilities for Seeds R&D. In this role, you will enable data-driven decision making and prescriptive design of seeds products through the enhanced design and analysis of field and controlled environment trials. You will champion enhanced digital fluency and excellence in Analytics across the R&D organization and across the Seeds business unit through leading and championing the development of infrastructure and analytics environments that facilitate the delivery of value from the Data Science and Analytics platforms.
Responsible for leading and expanding a novel analytics and data science team with a global footprint through a combination of internal FTE and strategic external partnerships.
Partner with Head of Seeds Development and your leadership team peers to drive vision, strategy, priorities, and actions for Syngenta Seeds Development to achieve and maintain leadership in data-driven decisions enabling development and commercial launch success of superior seeds products.
Lead an Agile cross functional team working directly with engineers and developers to support the development of industry-leading data science and analytics platforms to support our Seeds product pipeline.
Recognized externally as an inspiring leader and specialist within own area of specialization.
Maximize value of field and controlled environment trials for the product delivery pipeline by leading the development and utilization of advanced experimental design and data analysis methodologies.
Define and implement strategies for leading the development of Data Science and analytical models and supervising their performance over time.
Drive and champion standardization and global best practices for experimental design and statistical analysis methodologies and protocols.
Develop and sustain a highly engaged team of statistics and biometrics experts and foster the growth of scientific and leadership talent.
Enable data-driven decision making in crop teams by providing fit-for-purpose statistics support.
Build effective partnerships with IT, analytics, and data science leaders, crop subject matter experts, and external experts to deliver robust data standards and computational tools for optimizing the use of experimental data.
Drive key advanced analytics project delivery decisions, such as whether to “buy versus build”.
Leads, mentors, evaluates, and develops the team within Data Science & Analytics to ensure that the area achieves its objectives and follows all relevant regulations and laws.
Promote a safe work environment and a strong safety culture.
Represent Syngenta in relevant external events to support the awareness of Syngenta as a digital leader.
Responsible for monitoring progress against milestones and resource use and driving metric-based project decision processes across our Seeds portfolio.
Develop and deliver regular updates to internal SYT stakeholders and governance bodies regarding status and progress of our Analytics and Data Science platforms.
Ensures identification, assessment, and management of key risks in our product development projects and programs.
Maintain effective communication and interaction with collaboration partners, to ensure execution of short-term plans and to support alignment of long-term strategy for our digital collaborations.
Active member of Seeds Development Leadership Team.
• Ability to work effectively across disciplines and cultures and across geographies
• Strong stakeholder management, communication, networking and influencing skills
• Strategic thinking and the tactical implementation of strategic initiatives
• Must be able to deal effectively with organizational complexity and ambiguity
• Agile mind set to react efficiently and appropriately to rapidly changing business environment
• Excellent networking skills and ability to influence people without line management responsibility
• Appropriate balance between management and leadership styles
• Excellent communication skills
• Skilled in seeking business input (strategic imperative and prioritization) and translation into implementable Research direction
• Drives critical decisions in program and its projects
• Experience in multiple analytics and data science platform environments
• Experience in the development, utilization, and deployment of digital tools in the life sciences
• Experience in managing a high-performing and highly technical Analytics & Data Science team
• Demonstrated ability to successfully influence colleagues across functional boundaries
• Effective time management, with the ability to successfully plan and control activities over a number of months or years
• Management of high business impact projects/teams
Critical Technical, Professional, and Personal Capabilities
• PhD in Statistics, Mathematics, Analytics, Data Science, or relevant field with experience in life sciences, Agriculture, pharma or other relevant area
• Conceptual, analytical, and critical thinker
• Creative, innovative, and solution-focused
• More than 10 years’ experience in global research and development environment
• Experience working successfully in international and multidisciplinary project team environment
• Track record of influencing/developing talent
What We Offer:
• Full Benefit Package (Medical, Dental & Vision) that starts the same day you do
• 401k plan with company match, Profit Sharing & Retirement Savings Contribution
• Paid Vacation, 12 Paid Holidays, Maternity and Paternity Leave, Education Assistance, Wellness Programs, Corporate Discounts among others
• A culture that promotes work/life balance, celebrates diversity and offers numerous family-oriented events throughout the year
Syngenta is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
Equal Employment Opportunity Commission’s (EEOC)
Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA)
To apply for this job please visit www.syngenta.com.