Website The New York Times
More than 100 million digital readers come to The New York Times every month. The Algorithmic Recommendations team ensures that they find the news most relevant to their lives. Our group develops and deploys machine learning infrastructure and algorithms that power recommendations, newsletters, and other product experiences for the world’s most curious and engaged readers.
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer who will help develop backend infrastructure and build robust services to train and test algorithms and deliver real-time recommendations. Algorithms are tested using offline evaluations as well as by running A/B tests in production. We are constantly iterating on our process including: how we approach recommendations, rankings, article selection, and many other things.
By joining our team, you will be using your skills to strengthen a company whose mission matters more than ever. You’ll help ensure that the journalism of a 1200 person newsroom reaches the right reader at the right time. We, in the technology organization, are constantly inspecting ourselves to improve our culture, understand how we work and be open about how we build things hoping to learn more from others. We believe in a truly diverse environment and we work very hard to make it happen. We value everyone’s idea and encourage people to bring their ideas out.
Since the team develops and operates their systems in production, you’ll have ownership of deploying, monitoring and supporting our apps at the scale of The New York Times.
Some of the questions we explore are:
How can we prioritize our best content?
How can we find the best possible audience for a news article?
How can we best mix active and passive signals to generate a personalized list of articles?
How does a specific user experience change as a function of the data we have?
- 5+ years of relevant experience, a strong CS background and a track record of running large systems in a production environment
- Strong development skill in Python and/or Go
- Experience with cloud computing platforms like AWS, GCP or Azure
- Machine learning engineering skills, with a good understanding of the data processing, validation, and scheduling requirements necessary in an ML production environment
- Experience in delivering results in cross-functional projects
- Desire to work with colleagues as a team
- Experience in recommendation systems, NLP, personalization
- Experience using machine learning in real applications
- Visualization skills to provide insights on recommendation data
- Open source work you can share with us.
- Published work (blogs count too).
You don’t need to know it all, but you should know most of it and must be willing to learn everything else.
Benefits and Perks:
- Support our original, independent and reported journalism.
- We provide great health, dental, vision and life insurance for employees and their families
- We support responsible retirement planning with a generous 401(k) company match.
- We offer a great parental leave.
- We are committed to career development and ongoing learning supported by a formal mentoring program as well as $8,000 annually for tuition reimbursement.
- We have frequent panel discussions and talks by newsmakers and industry leaders.
- Join a community committed to the richness of diversity, experiences and talents in the world we cover, supported by a variety of employee resource groups.
To apply for this job please visit nytimes.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com.