Senior Applied Researcher – Core Team
Tractable is one of the top funded AI startups in Europe, working to help accelerate the process of accident & disaster recovery and prevention. To start, we set out five years ago to build an AI visual expert for vehicle damage estimation. We are still not done, but already our AI-powered product is making a mark across three continents and solving real human-level problems.
Why bother? Put simply, by capturing the way an expert reasons over complex visual tasks, we can help produce assessments faster and to a more consistent standard. In doing so, we address the challenges of a world in which there is an increasing rate of natural disasters and accidents, getting people’s lives on track quicker and more fairly.
What’s more, our belief is that research with true impact comes from deep domain knowledge, but also that by being led by the expert and across different geographies, over time big research challenges which cross different applications and domains are surfaced. And we’ve only just begun. So if you are a researcher looking for the perfect place to be challenged daily by real research problems, but which have the potential to have a big impact on the broader world, come join us.
WHAT KIND OF PROBLEMS WILL YOU BE SOLVING?
Our AI looks at photos of damage incurred during car accidents, and is able to assess the full extent of damage to the vehicle. This involves complex visual reasoning over nested expert tasks over all parts of the car from the panels to the supporting screws, requiring both state-of-the-art computer vision and deep learning techniques and expert knowledge to solve. In the core research team, this means working on challenging research problems in areas such as: multi-image and task reasoning, domain adaptation, image segmentation and combined visual / metadata learning.
WHERE WILL YOU HAVE IMPACT?
We are always looking for someone to bring new perspectives to the team, with a strong interest in creative problem solving and taking on some of the toughest applied research challenges from a multitude of different angles, all towards the end goal of creating an AI visual expert.
As part of the core research team, you will primarily help contribute to our technical roadmap, using direct input from our customers to expand the reach and scope of our ML solution using machine learning and computer vision and working on the underlying tech that will drive step-changes in what we can offer our customers in our AI-first products.
As a Senior Applied Researcher on the core team, you will work to:
- Understand and scope out ways to expand and enrich our ML solution using machine learning and computer vision
- Design, implement and evaluate models combining rich visual and metadata cues to achieve this
- Communicate the work of the research team both internally and externally and engage in collaborations to bring the team’s work to product
- PhD degree in Computer Science (or related quantitative field) or MS degree in Computer Science with equivalent practical experience
- 2+ years experience in industry or equivalent
- Proven track-record of solving complex problems with machine learning and computer vision
- Want to make cutting edge research work in a real-world setting, and have a keenness to engage in all stages of the ML development process from information gathering and problem scoping to model development
- Hands on experience using one of the following deep learning libraries: Tensorflow, PyTorch, Theano or similar
- Experienced in mentoring and / or supervision
- Hands-on experience driving an applied ML solution to product
Proven ability to work with a team to outline a coherent applied research agenda to solve challenging real-world problems
Here at Tractable we’re passionate about creating an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates the diverse voices of our employees. Everyone is welcome, we don’t discriminate on the basis of any protected characteristic including race, religion or belief, gender or gender reassignment, age, sexual orientation, marital status, or disability.
We want to facilitate everyone in bringing their best selves to our interviews, so if there are any adjustments we can make for our process to be more inclusive, please let us know.
To apply for this job please visit tractable.ai.