Website Consumer Reports
From heat waves to wildfires, drought and sea level rise, our climate is changing before our eyes. The quality of our air is getting worse, while toxic chemicals are showing up in our food, water and household products. These are serious environmental problems that affect the everyday lives of consumers, and yet public health and environmental protections are being rolled back. With our commitment to a fair and just marketplace, CR is now bringing its full power to address climate change and environmental issues in the marketplace and we’re looking for a creative and entrepreneurial person to lead the way.
As part of CR’s Climate, Energy, and Sustainability Initiative, you will have the opportunity to work collaboratively across the organization to build and facilitate execution of a strategy to bend the curve of consumption toward a sustainable future. You will also help create common cause with young people and communities of color who will be our partners in change. And, you will have the opportunity to tap into the diverse assets of a nonprofit social enterprise to take a unique, consumer-facing approach to shape the marketplace and reduce or eliminate harms and inequities associated with the products and services people buy and use everyday, including impacts on consumer health, the economy, and the environment.
The Engineer/Analyst will support CR’s work to increase the consumer voice and consumer-focused analysis in policy, corporate engagement, and media efforts around sustainability issues. This position will cover current and future vehicle fuel and home energy technologies. The Engineer/Analyst will support CR’s advocacy work focused on sustainability.
This position is grant-contingent, with opportunity for extension after two years as we secure additional philanthropic support, which is an organizational priority.
- Develop analyses, methodologies and source data to support sustainability corporate engagement and policy efforts. Perform descriptive and/or in-depth analysis to guide public policy and business practices to protect consumers.
- Develop rapid-response analysis of evolving and emerging issues, breaking news, and government and industry actions.
- Prepare compelling materials in a variety of formats including spreadsheets, data visualizations, reports, presentations, and fact sheets to make data meaningful for the public, media, CR staff, and outside stakeholders and decision-makers.
- Review, analyze and evaluate current literature, corporate claims and announcements, marketplace practices and developments, media reports, laws and regulations to determine their impact on consumers and potential relevant changes to public policy and corporate practices.
- Work with technical staff to develop and refine information and databases, and incorporate external/big data for analysis as appropriate.
- You have a Master’s degree in engineering, science, statistics or other similar field and experience in engineering-economic analysis, modeling, or statistics and data science/analytics.
- You can make quick “back of the envelope” estimates for rapid-response purposes
- You know how to use analysis and modeling tools, including two or more of the following: spreadsheets (e.g., Excel), databases (e.g., Access), statistical tools (e.g., R, SPSS), or analysis and modeling tools (e.g. Matlab).
- You have experience with data visualization and dashboard tools and functions.
- You can translate complex data and ideas into compelling narratives and presentations for non-technical audiences.
- You bring experience in the energy, climate, and sustainability field is strongly preferred, but not required.
To apply for this job please visit www.click2apply.net.