Group Lead – Machine Learning and Analytics – 91775
Organization: CR-Computational Research
The Machine Learning and Analytics Group (previously known as the Data Analytics and Visualization Group) in the Computing Research Division (CRD) at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL) is looking for a Group Leader. The group’s mission is to conceive, design, and implement new methods in high-performance machine learning, data and image analytics, computational geometry and topology, and visualization technologies. The work of the group is a mix of theoretical research and applied research. The group works in close collaboration with scientific partners to identify and address challenging, large-scale, data-rich problems emerging from simulations, experiments, and observations. The group’s AI/ML research is positioned to be a key part of the LBNL portfolio in this important research area.
For more information, visit http://crd.lbl.gov/departments/data-science-and-technology/data-analytics-and-visualization/
In support of CRD’s strategic objective to build stronger collaborative research ties within LBNL, the primary responsibilities of the Machine Learning and Analytics Group Lead are:
- To lead a group of staff members to maintain a recognized track record of performing independent scientific research in the areas of machine learning, data analytics, topology, visualization, and related topics.
- Organize and coordinate R&D projects and collaborations; provide technical leadership and develop strategies in support of the group’s research agenda.
- To work with other group leads in the division in building and strengthening collaborations and relationships with other scientific divisions at LBNL and elsewhere; and
- Develop funding plans and submit scientific grant proposals to obtain funding to support R&D activities in Machine Learning and Data Analytics.
- Recruit, organize, and manage the group, including scientists, computer systems engineers, and postdoctoral fellows.
- Senior Scientist level will maintain a nationally and internationally recognized track record of performing independent scientific research in above areas.
KEY SUCCESS FACTORS:
- Strong experience, relevant referred publications, and recognized project leadership in a machine learning or data analytics research community.
- Established track record of research accomplishments and for successfully pursuing funding in these areas.
- Experience with using and developing cutting edge software and hardware prototypes in a research environment, particularly scientific HPC systems.
- Highly self-motivated and willing to learn new technologies.
In addition to the above qualifications, consideration for Senior Scientist level include:
- Demonstrate a high level of scientific innovation and creativity.
- International recognition as an authority and world leader in a relevant field.
- An established, independent, and internationally recognized record of outstanding research.
Additional desired qualifications:
- Deep understanding of theory, implementation and optimization of machine learning and data analytics.
- Deep understanding of advanced computer and systems architecture (CPU, caches, memory systems), and their impact on machine learning and data analytics performance.
- PhD or equivalent experience from an accredited institution.
For full consideration, please apply by March 15, 2021.
- Career Appointment – This is a full time career appointment, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
- This position will be hired at a level commensurate with the business needs and the skills, knowledge, and abilities of the successful candidate at either the Staff or Senior Scientist classification.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion are core values at Berkeley Lab. Our excellence can only be fully realized by faculty, students, and staff who share our commitment to these values. Successful candidates for our faculty positions will demonstrate evidence of a commitment to advancing equity and inclusion.
- This position has the option of working remotely, but limited to individuals residing in the United States.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://188.8.131.52/counter.php?id=192475 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4. Click here to view the poster and supplement: “Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.”
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory encourages applications from women, minorities, veterans, and other underrepresented groups presently considering scientific research careers.
To apply for this job please visit 184.108.40.206.