Senior Machine Learning Engineer, Applied AI
Virta is the first company with a clinically-proven treatment to safely and sustainably reverse type 2 diabetes and other chronic metabolic diseases without the use of medications or surgery. Our innovations in nutritional biochemistry, data science and digital tools combined with our clinical expertise are shifting the diabetes treatment paradigm from management to reversal. Our mission – to reverse type 2 diabetes in 100 million people by 2025.
As a full stack health care company of physicians, engineers, marketers and more under one roof, Virta collects comprehensive data on our patients’ experience. The Applied AI team leverages this data to build the next generation of health care for chronic diseases. As a member of this team, you will build and interpret intelligent systems that power our product in order to scale the treatment, drive patient acquisition, and improve patient outcomes.
We strive to be a self-reliant, full-stack AI team. For this opening, we are particularly interested in candidates who are passionate about improving the platform and tooling that Applied AI uses to develop and deploy its systems. The ideal candidate gets energy from helping colleagues run production AI systems with less friction, and would be excited to spend 50%+ of their time in service of related goals.
- Lead the team’s thinking in building extensible, self-service tooling and platforms across areas, including (but not limited to):
- Model Development: Enable faster and richer model dev iterations via GPU acceleration, distributed training, and supporting a broad ecosystem of ML frameworks. Improve our data processing capabilities with Google Cloud technologies like Dataflow.
- Model Serving: Define patterns to deploy multi-model systems as batch pipelines or (possibly stateful) web-services.
- ML Ops: Lead the team in critical technical choices, such as how we approach production model monitoring, ML-native CI/CD practices, and model lifecycle management.
- Forge close relationships with senior technical leaders from infrastructure and product engineering. Drive towards strong service contracts across Virta’s technology organization so Applied AI can ship autonomously with minimal handoffs.
- Research, develop, deploy, and monitor intelligent systems that improve patient acquisition and outcomes at scale
90 DAY PLAN
Within your first 90 days at Virta, we expect you will do the following:
- Immerse yourself in the rich data we collect in service of our patients’ care. Our data includes high dimensional time series data, meal images, natural language discourse, insurance claims, and much more
- Ship one new data pipeline or ML model as a feature in our patient or clinician-facing products; use this experience to learn our existing workflows
- Work with team members to enable efficiency improvements across their ML related tasks; draft a roadmap for our tooling and infrastructure. Develop opinions on what we should build vs. buy
- Teach and inspire other Applied AI team members on your areas of expertise through knowledge sharing, pair programming, and code reviews
- You have 4+ years experience as a data scientist/machine learning engineer deploying models in production at scale. Alternatively you have 4+ years of experience as a backend or infrastructure engineer with new interest or experience in machine learning applications
- You are passionate about directly optimizing core products or operations through models your team deploys to production
- You are data curious – you care deeply about exploring data and understanding real life user behavior
- You have experience with modern data processing technologies like Apache Spark or Apache Beam, and/or model serving technologies like Kubeflow, Seldon Core, or Ray Serve
- You excel at communicating progress, trade-offs, and the results of your work to team members from other functions
Virta’s company values drive our culture, so you’ll do well if:
- You put people first and take care of yourself, your peers, and our patients equally
- You have a strong sense of ownership and take initiative while empowering others to do the same
- You prioritize positive impact over busy work
- You have no ego and understand that everyone has something to bring to the table regardless of experience
- You appreciate transparency and promote trust and empowerment through open access of information
- You are evidence-based and prioritize data and science over seniority or dogma
- You take risks and rapidly iterate
To apply for this job please visit boards.greenhouse.io.