We work at the intersection of advertising and messaging technologies to connect millions of brands to billions of fans. As part of the Advertising team, we’re paving the way for a sustainable global Spotify business that allows even more creators to make a living off their art. Come join us and help build the platform that powers promotion at Spotify.
We are looking for backend engineers with experience or active interest in machine learning to join our team of talented engineers that share a common interest in distributed backend systems, their scalability and continued development. You will build the backend systems that power our application, scale highly distributed systems, and continuously improve our engineering practices. Above all, your work will impact the way the world experiences music and podcasts.
At Spotify, we’re proud of our ambitious mission of having 1 billion fans enjoying music and podcasts around the world, and are seeking a backend engineer with a proficiency in machine learning to join our team, which uses machine learning to drive advertiser outcomes and listener satisfaction in Spotify Free, helping democratize music access globally while positively impacting Spotify’s bottom line. We develop innovative and scalable solutions around the core problem of getting the right ad to the right user at the right time, while embodying Spotify’s values and taking our users’ best interest at heart.
What you’ll do
- Architect, design, develop, deploy and operate Java services and systems that serve real-time predictions to millions of users
- Help build and improve features that impact our users and make them better leveraging machine learning
- Collaborate with a cross functional agile team spanning design, data science, product management, and engineering to build new technologies and features
- Participate in the Spotify-wide backend developer community affecting and driving our architecture across the company
- Build systems that personalize our listeners’ experience of ads
- Prototype new approaches and productionize solutions at scale.
- If you are coming in with interest but not experience in ML, you will be expected to develop a proficiency in ML during your first year.
Who you are
- You have a strong background in designing and building distributed, high-volume services (Java, PHP, etc)
- You are proficient in bare-metal programming languages (Java / C++)
- You are experienced with deploying and operating services on Linux.
- You have a deep understanding of system design, data structures, and algorithms.
- You have experience with or active interest in machine learning systems, theory, and development workflows
- You care about quality and you know what it means to ship high quality code.
- You care about agile software processes, data-driven development, reliability, and disciplined experimentation
- You have experience and passion for fostering collaborative teams.
Where you’ll be
- We are a distributed workforce enabling our band members to find a work mode that is best for them!
- Where in the world? For this role, it can be within the Americas region in which we have a work location
- Prefer an office to work from home instead? Not a problem! We have plenty of options for your working preferences. Find more information about our Work From Anywhere options here.
- Working hours? We operate within the Eastern Standard time zone for collaboration
Spotify is an equal opportunity employer. You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or what’s playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be forward-thinking! So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens.
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the chance to enjoy and be passionate about these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service with a community of more than 345 million users.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lever.co.