Civitech is an Austin, Texas based political technology startup that is devoted to applying technology-based solutions to civic problems. We are a team of developers, organizers, former candidates, marketers, game designers, musicians, veterans, artists, and scientists that are committed to changing progressive politics for the better. We are building elegant, usable interfaces that will help people run for public office, make it easier for volunteers to get involved in the civic arena, and offer modern solutions for local governments to better provide services to their constituents.
Our #1 goal at Civitech is to help Democrats win more elections throughout the USA at every level of government, repeatedly. We believe that all people should have equal opportunity and dignity, that government’s purpose is to improve the collective good, and nobody is above the law. We strive to equip public servants with the tools they need to pursue these values in their campaigns and once elected.
We seek a highly skilled Data Scientist to join our team. As a member of our team, you will improve the quality, quantity, and timeliness of data that we provide to candidates and activists through numerous applications. Our applications cover a wide range: voter registration, canvassing, fundraising, and more. Experience with US elections administration or political campaigns is a plus.
If you want to work on disruptive civic technologies that will make a difference in your community and around the country, then we strongly encourage you to apply.
Please submit a resume and a description of why you’re interested and include the subject line “DATA SCIENTIST APPLICANT” to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Design, implement, and maintain our data architecture
- Define and monitor metrics for our data architecture
- Diagnose and resolve deficiencies in data quality and systems performance
- Guide and assist team efforts for data collection, data cleansing, and data sharing
- Perform exploratory analysis and provide ad-hoc reports
- Track, evaluate, and contribute to technology advances across academic, open source, and commercial forums
- Collaborate with partner organizations on tools and data sets
- Participate in political events that promote, train, and/or directly use our systems
- Advanced skills in database programming (every aspect of SQL, plus PL/pgSQL or PL/SQL or T-SQL)
- Basic skills in database administration (PostgreSQL preferred, but Oracle or MySQL okay)
- Solid understanding of RDBMS principles and modern practices
- Practical experience with variety of application data workloads (OLTP, OLAP, etc)
- Familiar with a variety of data integration and data warehouse approaches
- Familiar with a variety of middleware approaches and tools (ORM, MQ, GraphQL, REST, webhook, etc)
Additional Qualifications (desired but not required)
- Experience with cloud computing environments (Google Cloud preferred, but AWS or Azure okay)
- Experience with ETL and data pipeline systems (AirFlow, Spark, Nifi, Stitch, Talend, or others)
- Experience with data visualization, dashboard, and/or reporting tools (Tableau, Jasper, or others)
- Experience with mapping/spatial/GIS data (including tools such as PostGIS)
- Experience with graph data (such as social influence networks)
- Knowledge of machine learning (ML) and artificial intelligence (AI) methods
- Advanced knowledge of scaling and high-availability techniques for data architectures
- Advanced knowledge of cryptography, authentication, authorization, and/or data privacy methods
- Advanced knowledge of USA elections administration and/or campaign operations
- Advanced knowledge of statistics (including tools such as R)
- Familiar with web application frameworks (especially Angular, but VueJS or React okay)
- Fluent in computer science humor
Classification, Salary, and Benefits: Full-time, competitive salary. Excellent benefits include a company health plan with medical, dental, and vision insurance (75% of premium paid by Civitech); four weeks accrued paid vacation time per year; 10 days accrued paid sick time; and a competitive company option plan.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com