Website Code for Science & Society
Code for Science & Society (CS&S) is a US-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit supporting open collaboration in public interest technology through fiscal sponsorship and other programs supporting sustainable open source, open data, open science, and open infrastructure projects. Our mission is to advance the power of data to improve the social and economic lives of all people. Today, we interpret the public interest framing of our mission as an opportunity to invest in and partner with projects that shift power to those who have been historically excluded from technology and science.
The Operations Coordinator, Fiscal Sponsorship Program will carry out support for the program management and operations teams at CS&S. As Operations Coordinator, you will be responsible for maintaining a smooth flow of information between internal teams at CS&S, our external partners, and the tools we use to collaborate. The role includes administrative support for fiscally sponsored projects (FSPs) in the field of open public technology, including client request tracking, data entry and management, grants management, contract management, and documentation.
This role is a great opportunity for candidates looking to grow their career in the areas of nonprofit operations, process development, program management, or internal communications. As a member of our 100% remote workspace, an ideal candidate is an organized, autonomous worker who is a great communicator and enjoys problem solving. The Operations Coordinator, Fiscal Sponsorship Program will report to the Director of Operations, Page Metcalf.
- Management of organization-wide administrative tasks, including:
- Data entry;
- Scheduling cross-team meetings;
- Sending documents for signing;
- Supplying funding information for payments;
- Drafting letters and correspondence;
- Filing documents;
- Maintenance of website content and user management;
- Adding new users to apps and technology services;
- Procedural documentation.
- Serving in a liaison role with Fiscal Sponsorship Program Managers, including:
- Attending internal FSP team meetings, project meetings, and Operations team meetings to track progress on requests;
- Providing regular summary of project updates to Program Managers, including service agreements, independent contractors, hiring, terminations, and funding.
- Grant management support, including:
- Tracking incoming grant deadlines and send reminders for upcoming reports;
- Filling out grant application documentation, such as pre-grant questionnaires, organization documents, and financial info;
- Processing outgoing grants and following up with grant recipients to obtain reports.
What we’re looking for
- 1-2 years of experience in an administrative or coordinator role, including file management, contract execution and meeting documentation;
- Professional interests that align with the core functions of this role, including project administration, grants management and nonprofit operations;
- Availability for synchronous meetings between 10am and 2pm Pacific (UTC -7 to UTC -8);
- A demonstrable talent for keeping teams accountable to complex timelines;
- An appetite for and sensitivity to working with diverse communities across race, class, ethnic, political, and geographic boundaries;
- Experience with the tools currently used by our distributed team: Asana, Airtable, Dropbox Sign, Google Suite, Notion, Slack;
- Eagerness to learn new tools and develop processes that support cross-team collaboration.
Good to have
- Experience in non-profit operations;
- Familiarity with grant management;
- Experience providing basic IT support across teams;
- Familiarity with or interest in open ecosystems (e.g. open science, open source software, open data, or other open communities).
What we value
- Addressing systemic inequality. We exist in a time and place in our world where vast systemic inequality has been brought to the fore through Black Lives Matter, the COVID-19 Pandemic, and Climate Change. With the inability for many opt-out, we must consider how our day-to-day work furthers these inequalities. CS&S’s approach is detailed in our Commitment to Meaningful Equity and Inclusive Organizational Practices.
- Sustainability. Because we anticipate periods of higher workload (hello November & December!), we aim for a baseline of 75%-80% workload. We also want to ensure everyone has someone who can cover their tasks while they are out of office.
- Boundaries around work and life. We schedule weekly Zoom-free days, and we help each other take time off to rest, reset and recharge.
What we offer
- This is a remote, full time position estimated at 40 hrs/week with an expected start date in July 2023. CS&S is a remote-first organization with staff members including contractors based around the world. An ideal candidate will have availability for synchronous meetings between 10am and 2pm Pacific (UTC -7 to UTC -8).
- Starting salary of 63K USD annually plus benefits (medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401k with 4% employer match), and unlimited paid time off (we encourage a minimum of one week off per quarter for all employees);
- CS&S salaries are set at fixed levels based on the position’s responsibility. This role is scoped as a coordinator level position, and compensation and promotion metrics are outlined in CS&S’s Promotion Tiers and Philosophy resource.
- Check out the work of our current projects before you apply.
- Complete the application form by May 21.
- Applicants who progress to the first round will have the option to submit responses to a written interview form or participate in a synchronous video interview. The second round will require synchronous video interview participation to enable more in-depth conversation.
Our team boasts a wide range of backgrounds and experiences. You might be exactly who we’re looking for: don’t hesitate to apply!
To apply for this job please visit grnh.se.