Website Northwestern University
Northwestern is dedicated to providing excellent support for our research community. As a Data Scientist with Northwestern IT Research Computing Services, you will support world-class research from across the university by implementing practical solutions to researchers’ data science challenges. In this position, you will:
- Consult with and provide advice to researchers facing a wide range of data challenges,
- Develop and deliver training for students, faculty, and staff on data science, programming, and computational skills, and
- Collaborate with researchers on projects requiring data science, data visualization, or programming skills.
Working with other members of the research data services team and partners across the university, you will provide the data services, resources, and support researchers need. Research Computing Services consists of specialists who collaborate to support the full scope of computational and data needs of researchers. We facilitate data-enabled research and training across disciplines and fields. We value continual learning, problem solving, and sharing our diverse backgrounds and skills with each other and researchers.
- Provide data science support: Support researchers by collecting and organizing data; writing scripts and software programs; analyzing, modeling, and visualizing data; recommending predictive and statistical analysis approaches; and providing other data science services as a part of collaborative research projects.
- Deliver data science training: Develop and teach technical workshops on data science, programming, and data visualization topics for researchers.
- Develop and communicate analysis strategies: Provide short-term consultation support to researchers at all levels: assess researchers’ data and computational challenges or problems and develop strategies to address those problems. Communicate the steps necessary to accomplish a data-centered task to researchers of varying levels of technical background and expertise.
- Support service operations: Perform organizational, planning, and logistical tasks required to ensure the efficient operation of data science services, such as organizing workshops and ensuring consultation requests are fulfilled.
- Student mentorship: Mentor undergraduate and graduate student data science consultants working with the team.
- Documentation: Write both technical and non-technical documentation of projects, code, and consultations.
- Team collaboration: Work together with Research Computing Services colleagues, school/college partners, other IT groups, the library, and other university data science groups to provide integrated support for the research computing and data needs of Northwestern researchers.
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a Bachelor’s degree in a related field; or appropriate combination of education and experience.
- 4 or more years combined work experience and/or post-baccalaureate education in a related field, including experience conducting research projects involving statistical and/or predictive data analysis outside of coursework or supporting such projects as part of a team.
- Knowledge of Python and/or R at a sufficient level to fulfill job responsibilities, including teaching others.
- Experience using a range of techniques and technologies to clean, analyze, and model complex or messy data in a variety of formats.
- Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to build relationships and effectively communicate with a wide range of people in the Northwestern community.
To apply for this job please visit careers.northwestern.edu.