PlaceIQ is a powerful, location-based audience and insights platform that organizes a wide variety of consumer activity data around a precise location base map at massive scale. PlaceIQ uses its detailed understanding of location and consumer activity to reach a targeted audience, and also to derive powerful insights about consumer behavior to inform market and business strategies for national brands. The company is headquartered in New York City and has offices in San Jose and Chicago.
PlaceIQ Data Scientists design, prototype, and test algorithms that turn hundreds of TBs of raw location data into valuable products. Our approaches include raw data mining, data visualization, creation of heuristics, and supervised / unsupervised machine learning techniques. Working with extremely large data sets requires the design and development of highly memory and cpu efficient methods. We use a mixture of commercial, open source, and home-grown solutions. Experience with horizontally scaling statistical algorithms is a plus as is familiarity with Spark and/or the Hadoop ecosystem.
Our findings are built into PlaceIQ’s core products. So the technical skills we look for are a mix of computer science, problem solving, and statistics. We are a collaborative team and work closely with engineering, so we value the ability to get deep into the math behind algorithms. We also work closely with teams across the organization, so we look for the ability to communicate technical ideas to non-technical teams. This role is based at our headquarters overlooking Bryant Park in NYC.
Candidates with extensive experience will be considered for the Senior Data Scientist role.
- Design and prototyping of scalable algorithms
- Structuring, cleansing, and assessing the quality of data for downstream processing
- Functional and technical documentation of analysis, findings, and prototypes
- Collaboration with engineering team to productionize prototypes
- Communication of results to teams within PlaceIQ and customers
- Finding creative solutions to business problems then developing them into products
- Owning and driving projects with minimal guidance
Ways to stand out:
- Experience with our favorite tools – Scala, Spark, Python, AB testing, Bayesian statistics, Graphical Data Structures, Functional Programming
- Experience with tools we are exploring – Deep Learning, Probabilistic Graphical Models, Active Learning, Anomaly Detection, Image Classification
- Masters or PhD in a quantitative field
- Extensive background in math or statistics
To apply for this job please visit www.placeiq.com.