Website University at Albany
Full Professor in Data Science Subject Areas: Data Science, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence
The Department of Mathematics and Statistics at the University at Albany (State University of New York) seeks a Full Professor in mathematics related to data science and AI, to start in Fall 2023. The new hire will be a member of the UAlbany AI Institute. The successful candidate will provide evidence of expertise in AI and address how AI is integral to their research program.
The University at Albany is currently conducting a large cluster hire of 26 faculty positions in the broad area of artificial intelligence. These positions span the campus to include eight Schools and Colleges in 20 departments. See https://www.albany.edu/ai/faculty-openings
The Department of Mathematics and Statistics has great strength in all major areas of mathematics. It is also unique in that it has an established MS program in data science with enrollment of 90 students and is granting doctoral degrees in the area of data science. The faculty are supported by multiple grants from federal agencies such as NSF and NASA.
Located in Albany, New York State’s capital, the University is convenient to Boston, New York City and the Adirondacks. Moreover, a recent US News and World Report ranked Albany the best place to live in NY and the 21st best place to live in the US.
- A Ph.D. degree in mathematics, applied mathematics, statistics, or a related field, from a college or university accredited by the U.S. Department of Education or an internationally recognized accrediting organization.
- Applicants with degrees outside of mathematics, applied mathematics, or statistics (e.g., operations research, electrical engineering, computer science or physics) are also encouraged to apply but must demonstrate a strong record in doing research in mathematics related to data science and AI.
- Applicants must address in their application their ability to work with a culturally diverse population.
- Applicants must demonstrate evidence of artificial intelligence in their existing research program.
A record of research requisite for an appointment as a Full Professor in mathematics related to data science and AI.
- Applicants must have experience teaching undergraduate and/or graduate courses areas related to data science and AI.
- Applicants must have demonstrated research excellence, a solid external research funding record, and strong evidence of continuously obtaining external funding to support a robust research program in mathematics related to data science and AI.
- Applicants must demonstrate a strong potential for interdisciplinary research and contribute to the University’s AI initiative (see https://www.albany.edu/ai).
- Significant leadership experience related to the management, including budget and research management, of individual and team grants.
- Demonstrated potential for collaboration with the existing machine learning and topological data analysis groups and to complement their expertise.
Applicants MUST submit the following documents:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Cover letter
- Research Statement
- Teaching Statement
- Available evidence of teaching effectiveness (e.g., syllabi, student evaluations) • Contact information for three references.
Candidates should apply using the University employment portal: https://albany.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=156417 A review of applications will start on January 12, 2023, and will continue until the position is filled.
The University at Albany is an EO/AA/IRCA/ADA (Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/ Immigration Reform and Control Act/ Americans with Disabilities Act) Employer.
Contact for inquiries: Chair of the Hiring Committee, Yiming Ying, email: email@example.com postal mail: Department of Mathematics and Statistics, University at Albany, State University of New York, 1400 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12222.
To apply for this job please visit albany.interviewexchange.com.