The Los Angeles Times and San Diego Union-Tribune are looking for a Data Governance Specialist to join the team in either our LA or San Diego offices. This specialist will be joining our growing data team which encompasses analytics, consumer research, data engineering, and data science.
This role be focused on developing and maintaining our data systems documentation including data architecture and data dictionaries, executing compliance workflows as necessary to comply with data regulations, and monitoring data systems for quality issues. This position will partner with the data organization, technology and business stakeholders, and legal for compliance and data governance issues as they arise as well as finding and developing areas of improvement.
- Create and maintain documentation for the company’s data map and data lineage across all systems
- Maintain data dictionaries for all systems
- Own workflow and process for compliance requests (GDPR, CA Shine the Light, CA Consumer Privacy Act, etc.)
- Monitor data quality, identify issues and oversee remediation efforts
- Work closely with legal, data, and engineering teams to ensure all products are meeting corporate standards
- Help train and educate teams using data on best practices to ensure data products are built with proper governance in mind
- Create reports to communicate to the organization the health of our data governance efforts
- 2+ years experience in data governance/compliance roles
- 2+ years working with complex big data environments involving multiple systems and platforms
- Understanding of PII and proper standards, processes, and security in its handling
- Proven ability to define and drive standards and governance inside a large organization
- Proficient in creating data dictionaries and tracking data lineage
- Proficient in data profiling tools (Python, SQL, or similar)
- Proficient in BI tool (Tableau, Looker, Excel, or similar) for generating reports on regulatory compliance request fulfillment, data systems hygiene, etc.
- Direct experience with multiple database and file storage systems such as SQL Server, PostgreSQL, Redshift, Snowflake, S3, or similar
- Excellent written communication and documentation skills, including tables and flow charts
Feel free to reach out to Claire Peters, Sr. UX & Consumer Researcher at the LA Times, for questions about this position, or working at the Los Angeles Times: https://www.linkedin.com/in/claireepeters/
To apply for this job please visit latimes-cng.icims.com.