The Atlantic is seeking a Data Scientist to help lead research and analysis initiatives and support ongoing delivery of key insights to drive business growth and overall impact. The role will work closely with partners in Consumer Revenue, Advertising, Editorial, and Product to understand performance, identify and predict opportunities for improvement, and develop plans of action to maximize revenue, audience growth, and editorial engagement.
This is a great opportunity to be part of a growing team and help shape the way we develop, deploy, and operate production quality analytics systems and processes—and have an impact on how The Atlantic uses data in the years to come.
- Lead research projects from hypothesis formation to delivering findings and recommendations to stakeholders
- Use supervised and unsupervised machine learning techniques to make predictions and categorize
- Design, execute, and evaluate tests across the company
- Guide the development of reports, dashboards, and metrics to monitor and improve the performance of our products
- Communicate findings and recommendations in a way that’s easily understood by non-quantitative audiences
- Work with fellow data scientists, engineers, and product managers to understand and meet emerging data needs
- The conviction that high-quality journalism is fundamentally important, and the desire to help it thrive
- Degree in math, statistics, economics, computer science, or another quantitative field
- Relevant professional quantitative experience (not necessarily in the media industry)
- Background in consumer revenue, ecommerce, and/or audience development a plus
- Experience presenting to audiences and communicating effectively with a variety of different stakeholders
- Strong SQL skills
- Experience with machine learning techniques in R or Python
- In-depth knowledge of statistical methodologies and tools
- Demonstrated success in analyzing large datasets
- Preference will be given to candidates who have:
- Experience with Google BigQuery
- Experience with Looker (or Tableau, or other similar BI tools)
Atlantic Media Values
Across Atlantic Media, generally, the firm looks for two “pillar gifts” in you, and everyone else. In all of us, these are more aspirational than actual, but they are central in our intentions.
- Force of Ideas: At the center of Atlantic Media work are the ideas within our writing. We believe that ideas – to the good and not – have consequence. Our highest work is bringing rigor, insight, intellectual honesty, to that ultimate purpose of separating the bad from the good, and giving voice to the latter.
- Spirit of Generosity: Atlantic Media seeks in its ranks a spirit of generosity – a natural disposition in each colleague toward service and selfless conduct. Atlantic Media writing should be cut from the same cloth – critical on the merits but informed by charity and forbearance in measuring motive and personal character.
To apply for this job please visit atlanticmedia.theresumator.com.